Monday, October 6, 2008

Boom Blox




My wife said she would be more apt to get into games with me if we had more games she might like, so when my brother visited this weekend I got him to bring Boom Blox with him. Good decision. This game is very addictive. The Steven Speilberg developed Boom Blox proves that sometimes simplistic gameplay can deliver a ton of fun.

The game comes with 300 stages (allegedly anyway as I wonder if some of them are not just repeats among single player and multiplayer) in which you perform a variety of tasks with the Wii remote, from pulling blocks out of a tower Jenga style, shoot blocks off of pedestals for points, throw balls to knock down an opponent's tower and other simple yet addictive tasks.

I recall when hearing that Speilberg was developing this game that a puzzle type game seemed a waste of his talent, but after playing Boom Blox I can see I was wrong. I shouldn't have doubted that because in reality it's hard to beat a good puzzle game. I'm sure many hardcore gamers would just shrug at that. Trust me, I loved Gears of War and I play Call of Duty 4 with friends way too much, but it's a game like Tetris that you can pick up two decades later and still enjoy as much as the first time you played it. I think Boom Blox could find itself in that league in, oh...about 2028.

No comments: